Welcome back to the Not Just About Copy podcast. My guest for this episode – episode 3 – is Dusk Liney.
Dusk is a listener and space holder, who lives, works and mothers on Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung Land. Dusk has two businesses: The Listening Squad (with her business partner Jo) and The Listening Mama. Dusk is a contemplative circle holder, birth doula, spiritual companion and matrescence facilitator.
Weaving this all together, Dusk meets people in the midst of their life and listens to their story. She invites people to encounter their inner wisdom and live from that place into their lives, work or birth. The way Dusk holds space is informed by community development, the contemplative movement, birth and motherhood studies and the therapeutic tool of spiritual companionship. Dusk believes in the power of bearing witness to someones’ story because every person is of value and needs to be heard.
I’ve had the honour of working with Dusk as a participant in several of her powerful Listening Circles and also through her matrescence work, which was a deeply transformative experience. Dusk has role-modelled and taught me so much about the art of listening and holding space for others. It’s such a privilege to be able to do that for her today.
This is a beautiful episode that traverses storytelling, language, listening, connection and more. We reflect on the extraordinary power of words – and why it’s important not to rush them.
We talk about:
- The importance of sharing stories through the generations and how Dusk’s stories have helped both shape and heal her, including that of Jeremy, the one-legged seagull
- Owning your own truth – and Dusk shares something that takes me completely by surprise
- The gift of bearing witness, and Dusk’s experience of this in her role as a birth doula
- How to get comfortable with silence and why it’s time for a listening revolution, and
- How Dusk’s weekly newsletter has become like a love letter, helping her find joy in writing for business.
I’m so thrilled to share my chat with Dusk Liney…
How you can connect with Dusk
Listen to the episode here: